Tracking cookies are small text files provided by websites and stored on your computer, by way of your web browser. The information they contain is transferred between your web browser and the web server of the site that generated the cookie each time you visit the site. Such data is most commonly used to maintain your website preferences, keep you logged into a site, or maintain shopping cart contents from one page to the next. All modern web browsers allow you to disable such functionality and block cookies if you choose to do so
1. Block cookies in Internet Explorer. Click “Tools” in the top menu bar and then select “Internet Options.” Click the “Privacy” tab near the top of the resulting dialogue box, and then click the “Advanced” button underneath the “Settings” heading. Change both cookie setting options to “Block.” Click “OK” on each of the two open dialogue boxes to close them and confirm your changes.
2. Block cookies in Firefox. Click “Tools” in the top menu bar and then select “Options.” Select “Privacy” from the menu bar at the top of the resulting dialogue box. Find the “Cookies” heading and uncheck the box below labelled “Accept cookies from sites.” Click “OK” to confirm the new setting.
3. Block cookies in Safari. Click the icon resembling a gear, located in the top-right corner of the browser window. Select the “Preferences” option, and then click the “Security” icon at the top of the resulting dialogue box. Change your setting under “Accept Cookies” to “Never.” Close the Preferences menu to save your changes.
4. Block cookies in Chrome. Click the icon resembling a wrench, located in the top-right corner of the browser window. Select “Options,” and then click the “Under the Hood” tab. Locate the “Cookie settings” heading. Click the drop-down menu located directly under the heading and select the “Block all cookies” option. Click the “Close” button to confirm your new settings.
5. Block cookies in Opera. Click “Tools” in the top menu bar and then select “Preferences.” Click the “Advanced” tab from the top of the Preferences dialogue box, and then choose “Cookies” from the left-hand menu on the resulting screen. Select the “Never accept cookies” option. Click “OK” to save your change.